[Orion] Another Orion AM subreceiver bug

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] Another Orion AM subreceiver bug
From: "James C. Garland" <4cx250b@muohio.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 06:55:27 -0500
Hi Gang,
In addition to the step-size bug reported previously (the subreceiver tunes only in 2.5 kHz steps in AM, no matter what the step size is set to), the Bandwidth control for the subreceiver doesn't work properly in AM either. One can adjust the BW down to about 2000Hz in AM, but no narrower than that. The bandwidth readout on the LCD reads as if the BW is being normally adjusted, but it isn't. I discovered this when I tried to narrow the BW to listen to WWV time signal and filter out everything else but the beeps.

There obviously is a significant problem with the subreceiver firmware in the AM mode, which TT hasn't been able to fix. Too bad for me, because I'd like to use the subreceiver for SWL listening to international broadcast stations.

73,

Jim W8ZR