Re: [Orion] Orion Receiver Audio Background Noise

To: Robert Carroll <rlcarroll@patmedia.net>
Subject: Re: [Orion] Orion Receiver Audio Background Noise
From: Gary Tuck <gtuck@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 08:22:13 -0800
Bob, as others have said, headphones make a difference.  I hear hiss
with 8 ohm cans and don't with the 60 ohm ones I use most often.  I
also put 47 ohm resistors in each line which helps as well.  Finally,
if you crank the AGC Threshold setting down to minimum--.37 uv--you'll
hear more background noise than if you set it at the default--3 uv.  If
I use very sensitive headphones, I also can hear annoying AGC pop on
the leading edge of strong signals.  Higher impedance phones made a big
difference here as well.

Gary W7TEA