[Orion] Orion Problems

To: <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: [Orion] Orion Problems
From: "Steve Van Houweling" <compguy12@mchsi.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 15:43:36 -0600
I have been reading the posts both here and on the contesting group as well
involving problems with the Orion, Lockups, software, things cutting out
ect.  Since I got a defective RF board problem fixed back in July  "
Excellent service...back in 10 days and fixed  "  I have had virtually no
problms with the radio of any kind in 8-16 hours of daily use both with and
without an amp and on various modes.  Maybe one or 2 lockups total and thats
it.  I am using the 1.372 firmware downloaded in december.  This rig is
simply in a class by itself compared to my MP, 940, 2000, even Corsair 2.
One thing to remember is that this is a Computer acting as a radio with
various I/O devices to make it work like one.  These can be more prone to
stray RF or EM fields, interference just like any other computer.  My small
company specializes in building computers for intense environmental and high
EMF environments caused by heat and mutiple 400+ electric motors.  An off
the rack Dell/Gateway Best Buy special will not last 2 hours or work in this
type of situation.  We use heavy shielding, PS, and special cooling.  This
applies in some degree to the Orion.  Make sure you have a VERY GOOD PS,
ground and the cables going in and out are choked, shielded and or grounded
as applies.  I feel this will eliminate some of the problems discussed.  Ten
Tec has gone way out on the edge with this radio, and we enjoy the results
with the best reciever ever put in a ham transceiver, Go to W8JI or sherwood
and see compared to others including the 7800.  Yes the display is not
color, but the price is very resonable compared to the 7800 or new FTDX9000,
and look at the new Pro3...........3000.00  600 more for the Orion with
tuner.and 4 roofing filters.  Not bad Ten Tec.  And the service is
fantastic.  Plus we Always have the newest version of the rig with the
upgrades. Just a couple observations.  73's to all   Steve,