Re: [Orion] Controls: (was Orion VOX & PTT problems)

To: "'Orion @contesting.com'" <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Orion] Controls: (was Orion VOX & PTT problems)
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:44:31 -0600

> > You shouldn't have to run at 2% for VOX.  The next steps
> are 1% or 3%,
> > which is pretty coarse resolution!.

I wonder if you also find your mic gain control set at a very low level.
There IS an analog mic gain control, accessible through a small hole in the
bottom of the case .. I believe under the antenna/VFO controls on the left.
You could always reduce that somewhat.

With a Studio-1, my VOX setting is around "8" and there aren't any issues
with resolution "courseness".

> The one that really bugs me is trying to set the AGC threshold to
> minimum value, 0.37 uv.  (The setting now recommended.) You have to
> turn and turn and turn that encoder!

I suspect if the encoder rate were increased, there'd be others grumbling
that it was too sensitive :-)

Grant/NQ5T