Re: [Orion] Orion Ver. 1.372

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Orion] Orion Ver. 1.372
From: N0KHQ@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:34:17 EST
Hello Group,

My experience with programmable direct digital control systems has taught  me
one thing to remember before loading new software into a control device. And
that is to clear out the previous programming before installing the new
programming.

Anytime you receive a rig from a manufacturer, you should do a Master  Reset.

Before loading new software into the Orion perform a "Ram Clear", then a
"Master Reset" and finally, load the new software, then do another "Master
Reset".

I sit here and read the different observations (issues) from other  Orion
owners and I just shake my head in disbelief.

There is one feature that you want to avoid using for now and that is the
"Sweep". Using the Sweep interferes with other Orion features. TT is working on

this issue. I only use the Sweep to find out what is going on, on the band,
then  I turn it off.

One other issue that will cause erratic behavior of the Orion is stay RF.  If
you have ANY stray RF present the Orion will find it and all  kinds improper
operation WILL occur.

If the Orion is not getting 13.8 VDC under load, issues could pop up.  So set
your power supply up to deliver the maximum VDC allowed to the Orion, 15  VDC
under idle operation. Then when you put the Orion under a load the voltage
will drop down to 13.8 - VDC. The manual says the Orion will operate at  12.8
VDC, I don't take any chances my power supply is set up to deliver 14.8 VDC
during idle. Then when I key the transmitter the voltage drops down to 13.4
VDC.

I don't have any problems with my Orion other than the Sweep issue and the
transmit audio monitor volume settings. Neither of which interferes with my
operating style which is 100% SSB.

The NB, NR, Notch, AN and receiver/s work perfectly and have never  failed.
But, I have taken some extraordinary measures to insure  that there are no
failures.

The Orion, although not 100% bullet proof, is still the best rig on the
market today. And that's a fact!

Until next time..........

73

John / N0KHQ / St.  Louis