Re: [Orion] Orion and 87A handshake

To: "'bob finger'" <finger@goeaston.net>, <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Orion] Orion and 87A handshake
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 12:25:05 -0400
Bob,

It's not clear from your post whether you are using the Orion's keying loop,
but if you are... don't! There are problems using it with the 87A. From the
symptoms I've seen, the 87A keying loop logic may not be designed correctly
for use with a Ten-Tec rig. Not surprising, since the 87A manual
specifically states that a keying loop should not be necessary. After all,
the switchover time for the 87A PIN diodes is probably well under 1 ms. Also
note that the Orion's T/R delays have no effect if you are using the keying
loop -- the delays only apply to the AMP KEY 1 and AMP KEY 2 relays.

The correct setup is as follows: Turn off both Keying Loops in the TX Menu.
Connect the Orion's Amp KEY 1 or AMP Key 2 output to the 87A's Relay input.
You can probably set the Orion's T/R delay to just about any value. Even at
0%, the Orion's relay activation time will be much longer than the 87A's PIN
diode switchover time. I've successfully used my Orion/87A at the factory
default delay of 20% and at 0%. I currently have it set to 10%. It's
probably unnecessary to have that much delay, but it doesn't hurt.

73, Dick WC1M