[Orion] RIT/XIT in Orion

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] RIT/XIT in Orion
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 08:35:22 -0400
KE5C wrote:

 >if you're in s&p mode on the a vfo and main receiver, you tune to a
second s&p
frequency on the b vfo and subreceiver?  when during a contest would you do
this?

         No, I'm normally running with VFO A = TX, Pod = RIT A
using Main RX.  When running is slow I'll simultaneous S&P
with VFO B = Sub RX.  For purely S&P, I often alternate
both VFO's, leaving one on the LID's who don't identify,
while continuing to tune with the other, basically leap-
frogging up or down the band with both VFO's.

         As I said before, the beauty of the Pod is that I
never touch that tiny RIT knob.  My big hands jut don't
like little knobs (one of many reasons I like Orion for
contests).  Frankly I never understood why manufacturers
never allowed reassigning large VFO knobs to RIT in some
cases.  My solution with the 930S and MP was to always
operate in Split mode, with TX on one VFO and RX on the
other, so I could always use a big knob for tuning on
my run frequency.  Of course it is then impossible to
simultaneously S&P on another frequency without a second
radio.  I can do that with the Orion/Pod combination and
never touch the little RIT knob.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV