[Orion] Station Ergonomics / Radio Placement?

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] Station Ergonomics / Radio Placement?
From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:56:25 -0400
I've come to realize that the location of my Orion on my operating table
isn't that good.

It replaced the Omni, which sat on my left.  What I've found is that the
combination of the Orion's display/smart keys being lower relative to the
knobs to the right of the display which I use most frequently results in
to negative effects:

- The reach is long and far.

- I reach across the display to the knobs and block it.

The Omni was a smaller radio the display was higher relative to the knobs.

I've been thinking about moving the radio to the right side of the table,
but that's a serious paradigm and behavioral change I might not be able
to handle.

My present layout is:

                         monitor
                      -------------
                   /                 \
Orion on bottom   /                   \ 238 tuner on bottom shelf
shelf.           /                     \  Herc II on top shelf
Rotor box on top/                       \
shelf          /         keyboard        \

One possibility:
                 monitor on articulated arm
                    Orion on tabletop
                      -------------
                    /                \
Rotor box et al    /                  \
on bottom shelf   /                    \ 238 tuner on bottom shelf
                 /                      \  Herc II on top shelf
                /                        \
               /         keyboard         \

Another possibility:
                         monitor
                      -------------
                    /                \
Herc II on top     /                  \
Rotor box et al   /                    \ Orion on bottom shelf
on bottom shelf  /                      \ 238 tuner on bottom shelf
shelf.          /                        \
              /         keyboard           \

I'm curious to know how you fellow Orion users lay out your station and
where you put your radio.

Email me your pictures and/or drawings DIRECTLY and I'll summarize for
those wanting.

Thanks in advance,

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC