[Orion] QSK with Amp

To: "Orion @contesting.com" <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: [Orion] QSK with Amp
From: Gary Tuck <gtuck@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:27:59 -0800
Use my Orion with a Centaur.  Just have the menu QSK delay set to
5-10% and leave the EXT T/R delay settings at the default 20%.  I use
Keying  Loop 1 with cables between the Key in (Centaur) and TX out
(Orion) and between Key out and TX en.

Last week I had an Omni VI+ and connected it to the Centaur the same
as above.  The Centaur relay seemed to be much more active and I felt
that I could hear the band better while transmitting.  This week I
connected my back up rig, a TS 850S, to the Centaur by connecting my
external keyer to Key In on the Centaur and then connecting a cable
from Key Out to the key jack of the TS 850s.  The combo transmitted
QSK FB and again, the Centaur relay was very active and I could hear
well.

So, why is the Orion different?  I read the manual carefully and came
away more confused.  I've always thought that the EXT T/R Delay
settings only pertained to keying using the Amp Key jacks and were
irrelevant when keying QSK with the Keying Loop circuit. But the
manual speaks of some interaction between the QSK delay setting and
the EXT T/R delay.

So, my question is how do others have their Orion/TT amps configured
and what settings do you use?

tnx,  Gary W7TEA