Re: [Orion] Orion - how with ALC?

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Orion] Orion - how with ALC?
From: "Richard Detweiler" <rdetweil@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:08:43 -0600

There is a valid point for not having ALC,

ALC will cause distortion.

At least that is my understanding of why the ALC was never put on TT Radios.

Best wishes,
Rich
K5SF

From: "Carl Moreschi" <n4py@arrl.net>
To: "OK1FM" <ok1fm@ges.cz>
CC: orion@contesting.com
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:59:24 -0500

The ALC in the Orion is internal only. There is no external ALC on any
tentec radio. You simply adjust the "PWR" level on the Orion for the
correct drive level when in CW mode. Then in SSB, the drive level will
never be more than this value. You then adjust the mic gain level until the
red ALC light on the Orion flickers on voice peaks. This will never
overdrive your amplifier as long as the steady state PWR level is correct
for CW mode.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
Franklinton, NC