Re: [Orion] Orion Audio

To: "'mryan001'" <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>,"'Orion Reflector'" <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Orion] Orion Audio
From: "Larry Menzel" <retire@means.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 21:54:47 -0500
Hi, Mike,

Welcome to the group.  I believe you'll find not only a wide range of
interesting topics, but a wide range of interesting folks, as well.

Let's see.  First.  Did you read the manual for the radio, several times we
suggest. There are notes concerning the use of headphones.  Besides that,
you'll not get optimum performance without knowing a lot about the menus and
all the individualized settings available.

Second, is the AGC enabled or in the off position?  You may want to select
slow or program while in SSB.

Third, you MUST use STEREO HEADPHONES ONLY with the Orion.  Mono phones will
damage the radio.  Do you notice this at all output power levels?

Fourth, it is strongly suggested that you have a good, solid station ground
with an Orion.  Earth ground, not a cold water pipe.

Fifth, You don't mention much about how your station is configured, whether
you have another radio sharing antennas or if you have any issues with
tuners, feedlines or antennas.  Nor do you mention what kind of mic you're
using.

Sixth, If you have an original Orion, not an Orion II, unless you're using a
Ten Tec microphone, the radio is very fussy about how the mic is wired.
Information can be found in the manual.  You MUST have the mic ground
attached to the connector SHELL (using the four pin connector) in order for
the microphone to work properly.  I submit that this may be the problem.

Have you tried operating the radio directly into the antenna coax to make
sure that there are no peripherals introducing rf feedback to the radio?

Hope you're able to rule some things out before assuming that it's the radio
or the headphones.

Good luck.  Orion is an excellent radio, but it does take some time to learn
how to run it and to make sure that all peripherals are wired correctly.

73.

Larry, N0XB
Northfield, MN