Re: [TenTec] "Technical Correspondence", August 2007 issue

To: "TC" <TC@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] "Technical Correspondence", August 2007 issue
From: "Wolfgang, Larry, WR1B" <lwolfgang@arrl.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:11:24 -0400
Dear Readers,

Thank you for your comments about the August QST Technical
Correspondence column. I am sorry that some have taken exception to our
publication of a letter from Frank Brickle, AB2KT. When I decided to
publish that letter in TC, it seemed very clear that Mr. Brickle was not
trying to malign Ten-Tec or the Ten-Tec Orion II. In fact he makes that
statement at the beginning and at the end of his letter. Neither did I
believe he was trying to claim that the FlexRadio SDR-1000 was superior
in some way to any other manufacturer's radio. He also clearly stated
that he is not an employee of FlexRadio.

I agree that the Technical Correspondence column is not a forum for
manufacturers to debate the merits of their equipment. Neither is it a
place for personal attacks. As column editor, my primary task is to
select correspondence of a technical nature that I believe will be of
interest to a wide audience. In this case, my judgment was that this
letter highlighted an important technical difference between two
different methods of implementing a software defined radio. This
distinction becomes increasingly important as we look at more and more
software defined radio implementations.

73,

Larry Wolfgang, WR1B
Editor, QEX
Senior Assistant Technical Editor
QST Hints & Kinks Column Editor
QST Technical Correspondence Column Editor
ARRL -- The national association for Amateur Radio
Office Phone: 860-594-0275
Check out the QEX Web page at www.arrl.org/qex!

"advertising"