Propagation

[Propagation] Aurora and more...

To: propagation@contesting.com
Subject: [Propagation] Aurora and more...
From: nw7us@hfradio.org
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:47:55 -0800
NW7US Propagation Bulletin Update
21 January 2005 - 1945 UTC

As I mentioned early on (see my recent bulletins), the X7 flare unleashed
a coronal mass ejection.  I had reported that it was probable that the CME
was directed Earthward.  It was.  It has hit, today, and we are now seeing
a planetary K index (Kp) of 8, with a reading from Boulder at 7.  At the
time of this bulletin, the Bz is strongly positive, decreasing the full
impact on geomagnetic activity.  However, we're watching the IMF closely,
becuase if it does turn southward, what is already a major/severe
geomagnetic storm will increase even more in strength.

Of course, the dynamic pressure of this passage is very high, and the
speed is over 950 km/s.  At the same time, the proton storm is finally
ending.

Aurora is very possible for North America this evening.  Certainly, Aurora
is active over Asia/Europe.  With a Kp of 8, it is possible that radio
propagation via Aurora is in the cards for today/tonight.

73 de Tomas, NW7US (AAR0JA/AAA0WA)

: Propagation Editor for CQ, CQ VHF, Popular Communications :
: Creator; live propagation center http://prop.hfradio.org/ :
: Associate Member of Propagation Studies Committee of RSGB :
: US Army Miltary Affiliate Radio Service (MARS) SMD AAA0WA :
: 122.93W 47.67N / Brinnon, Washington USA CN87 CW/SSB/DIGI :
: Website/software/database design http://newwebmakers.com/ :
: 10x56526, FISTS 7055, FISTS NW 57, Lighthouse Society 144 :