Propagation

[Propagation+Space Weather] The W1AW Weekly Propagation Report - 2019 Au

To: propagation@contesting.com
Subject: [Propagation+Space Weather] The W1AW Weekly Propagation Report - 2019 Aug 02 19:47 UTC
From: nw7us@sunspotwatch.com
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 19:47:33 +0000
This e-mail posting is from the Radio Propagation Reflector that you're
currently subscribed to.  Refer to the end of this e-mail for directions on how
to change your subscription options, or to unsubscribe.
_______________________-start-_________________

The following is the weekly propagation bulletin from W1AW / ARRL (posting on 20190802 19:47 UTC):

QST de W1AW Propagation Forecast Bulletin 31 ARLP031 >From Tad Cook, K7RA Seattle, WA August 2, 2019 To all radio amateurs

SB PROP ARL ARLP031 ARLP031 Propagation de K7RA

No sunspots were observed over the past week, and solar flux remains flat, with average daily values declining from 67.3 to 67. Average daily planetary A index went from 5.3 to 5, and middle latitude A index from 6.3 to 5.9. Predicted solar flux for the next 45 days remains at 67, August 2 through September 15, every day. Predicted planetary A index is 5 on August 2 and 3, then 8, 18, 15, 12 and 8 on August 4 to 8, 5 on August 9 to 16, 8 on August 17 and 18, 5 on August 19 to 26, then 8, 16, 8, 5, 8, 22 and 16 on August 27 through September 2, 5 on September 3 to 12, 8 on September 13 and 14, and 5 on August 15. Geomagnetic activity forecast for the period August 2 to 28, 2019 from F. K. Janda, OK1HH. 'Geomagnetic field will be: Quiet on August 2 and 3, 8, 12 to 15, 21 and 22 Quiet to unsettled on August 9, 16 and 17, 23, 25 Quiet to active on August 4 and 5, 7, (10 and 11,) 19 and 20, 24, 28 Unsettled to active on August 6, (18, 26 and 27) Active to disturbed-None! Solar wind will intensify on August (2 and 3,) 6-8, (9 and 14,) 27 and 28 Parenthesis means lower probability of activity enhancement.' Spaceweather.com reminds us, 'BE ALERT FOR PERSEID FIREBALLS: Earth is entering a stream of debris from giant Comet Swift-Tuttle, source of the annual Perseid meteor shower. Forecasters say the shower won't peak until Aug. 12 and 13, but already NASA cameras are catching Perseid fireballs streaking over the USA. The Perseids produce more fireballs than any other annual shower--largely due to the size of the parent comet--so your chances of seeing one are good.' Larry Koziel, K8MU sent this, about simulating the sun in a lab: https://bit.ly/2LQLP0N Larry and several others including Max White, M0VE reported recently about solar tsunamis: https://bit.ly/2OvhlDr George, N2CG in Saddle Brook, New Jersey wrote on July 29: 'So far this year's Summer E's Season daily NA to Europe 6m FT8 mode openings have mostly bypassed the FN20 and adjacent grids and favoring the NA South East (especially grids EL and EM) as seen daily on the DXMAPS Website. Whatever EU openings I did manage to work so far were short lived lasting just a few minutes to 20 minutes at best. However that changed on Sunday July 28, 2019 beginning around 2100 UTC in the NA South East Coast area and around 2200 UTC at my NJ QTH FN20wv when primarily Finland with a few Sweden and Norway stations came in with very good FT8 mode signals for over an hour. I managed to decode the following stations: OH2MA, OH2FQV, OH2FNR, OH3XF, LA2XPA and SM3CCM and I worked OG2M, OH3SR and OH3XA. This was my very first time working Finland on 6m and shortly after my QSO with OH3SR he verified our QSO on LoTW! August will bring the prime 6m E's Season to a close. However, maybe the 6m gods have another surprise opening before the end of the season.' The latest from WX6SWW: https://youtu.be/UpyFOZLacvw If you would like to make a comment or have a tip for our readers, email the author at, k7ra@arrl.net. For more information concerning radio propagation, see the ARRL Technical Information Service at http://arrl.org/propagation-of-rf-signals. For an explanation of numbers used in this bulletin, see http://arrl.org/the-sun-the-earth-the-ionosphere. An archive of past propagation bulletins is at http://arrl.org/w1aw-bulletins-archive-propagation. More good information and tutorials on propagation are at http://k9la.us/. Monthly propagation charts between four USA regions and twelve overseas locations are at http://arrl.org/propagation. Instructions for starting or ending email distribution of ARRL bulletins are at http://arrl.org/bulletins. Sunspot numbers for July 25 through 31, 2019 were 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, and 0, with a mean of 0. 10.7 cm flux was 68.2, 67.6, 66.7, 67.1, 66.1, 66.2, and 66.9, with a mean of 67. Estimated planetary A indices were 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 8, and 8 with a mean of 5. Middle latitude A index was 3, 4, 4, 7, 5, 8, and 10, with a mean of 5.9.

https://groups.io/g/propagation-and-space-weather

Spread the word!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Links of interest:

+ Amazon space weather books: http://g.nw7us.us/fbssw-aSWSC
+ https://Twitter.com/NW7US
+ https://Twitter.com/hfradiospacewx

Space Weather and Ham Radio YouTube Channel News:

I am working on launching a YouTube channel overhaul, that includes series of videos about space weather, radio signal propagation, and more.

Additionally, I am working on improving the educational efforts via the email, Facebook, YouTube, Tumblr, and other activities.

You can help!

Please consider becoming a Patron of these space weather and radio communications services, beginning with the YouTube channel:

https://www.patreon.com/NW7US

The YouTube channel:
https://YouTube.com/NW7US

..

The W1AW Weekly Propagation Report - 2019 Aug 02 19:47 UTC