RFI

[RFI] PC Reboot Problem

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] PC Reboot Problem
From: Ed - K0iL <k0il@mitec.net> (Ed - K0iL)
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 20:06:40 -0500
On Saturday, 23 October, 1999 10:09 AM, P. M. Elliott
[SMTP:pelliott@flash.net] wrote:
> Occasionally, 2 or 3 times a month, my shack computer reboots when my
HVAC system comes on.  It's a heat pump system.  Problem occurs summer and
winter.   Outdoor compressor kicks on first, no problem.  Blower comes on
half a minute later, PC resets.  Nothing else in the shack is affected.
 The shack is about 20 feet away from the air handler, and about 45 feet
away from the compressor outdoors.

Paul,

You didn't mention whether you have any AC filtering or surge suppression.
 If not, you might try this route first before buying an expensive UPS.
 Take a look at Trip-Lite's ISOBAR which provides surge suppression,
filtering and isolation all in one package.  Don't scrimp either; get a
good one.  They have several models with various levels of surge
suppression.  Get computer grade.   You might want to get two, one for the
pewter & one for the Ham equipment.

When the lights "blink" here, my computer doesn't even know it!  Everything
has to go completely down for more than a few seconds for the thing to
re-boot.  Typical Power System switching has no effect.

73,
de ed -K0iL
           Ed Edwards    --    K0iL
 PO Box 375                        k0il@arrl.net
 Elkhorn, NE 68022-0375       k0il@qsl.net
 496-3415 home   552-5425 work   552-5505 fax
 Visit my home page:  http://www.qsl.net/k0il

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html