RFI

[RFI] DSL Modem / Line and RFI?

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] DSL Modem / Line and RFI?
From: Jon Ogden <jono@enteract.com> (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 09:04:59 -0600
on 11/29/99 08:51, Ray Antasek - NM6R at nm6r@netfeed.com wrote:

> I have no experience with the DSL lines but ferrite cores where the line
> comes into the computer should do the trick if the line is picking up the
> RF.  This has worked wonders for me on my keyboard, speakers, etc.  GL.

Corect, Ray.

I was thinking about the original poster's problem as well and what might be
happening is that RF may be getting into the modem itself.

I would recommend putting Type-77 ferrites around the power cord for the
modem, around the line coming from the computer to the modem (is it a serial
line or ethernet line? - either way it can be choked).  Get the large cores
from places like Amidon or Palomar and wrap as many turns around it as you
can.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html