RFI

[RFI] BIG, HUGE RFI Problem

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] BIG, HUGE RFI Problem
From: Jon Ogden <jono@enteract.com> (Jon Ogden)
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 21:52:58 -0600
OK guys,

I need some help on a really big RFI problem.  This time though, I am the
victim!

A couple of weeks ago, I began noticing a rise in electrical noise for short
periods of time.  I noticed it first on VHF (6 and 2 meters).  It would come
and go.  One morning, when I got up early to work on AO-10, the noise was
horrible on 2 meters.  It covered the whole band and was very strong.  It is
electrical impulse noise that on AM sounds like a buzz.  It was coming in
from basically all directions and at a level around S7 to S9!  So it was
very localized.

I switched down to HF on my FT-847 and it was there too.  So I decided to
listen on my FT-1000D.  It was there but barely.  Then I turned off the
wideband noise blanker.  BOOM!  The noise was up where it was on the FT-847
(the wideband noise blanker on the FT-1000 is incredible).  This noise was
literally everywhere from HF to 2M or beyond!

It has been coming and going for the last couple weeks and has been sorta
liveable.  However, in the last 24 hours it is back with a vengeance.  I
thought it was related to something at my neighbors house as it disappeared
last night when they left home for a while and reappeared when they came
back.  However, it was there until I went to bed pretty late and was still
there when I got up this morning.  And it is there now and they are not
home.

So what the heck is it that can literally produce a wideband buzz from at
least 3 MHz all the way up into the 220 MHz band?  It literally makes
everything at my station unusable particularly for weak signal VHF work.
And I am unable to do any packet operations on 2M or 220 as well due to the
noise.

This buzz is incredibly loud.  It is constant.  I can't really find a place
where it is not coming from.  It is NOT my computer or anything in the shack
as I shut all that stuff down last night.  It is very strong S7 to S9.  It
is continuous across the bands and does not repeat at multiples.  It is
literally everywhere.

There is a power company transformer in my neighbors front yard (we have
underground utilities here).  Could that be going?  Telephone?  Cable??

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden