RFI

[RFI] cable modems

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] cable modems
From: George Johnson" <w1zt@mediaone.net (George Johnson)
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 09:09:44 -0500
Hi Mike,
I use a cable modem... 3Com right in the shack and have had no trouble.  My
situation:
1.  Second floor shack about 30 "ground wire feet" from real ground.
2.  Antenna tower 60 ft against the house and so the shack is right under
it.
3.  I also have a small TV in the shack.  It has a high pass filter on the
TV cable feed to prevent "junk" radiated from the TV to be conducted back on
the the cable line.  This was installed by the cable TV people.
4.  Another high pass filter was installed in my basement to separate the
cable modem line going to the shack from the rest of the TV lines in the
house.  The filter is on the TV lines for the reason above.
5.  My direct buried cable feed from the street was replaced last year with
RG11 in plastic conduit.  The original wire was over 15 years old (I had
never used it) and had corrosion in the shield when they hooked up the TV
signal.  I wired good quality RG6 inside the house.

I am very happy with the cable modem here and also the cable performance.  I
had the service installed when the neighbors were not so happy with their
cable performance.  But the neighbors have decided to be mad at me rather
than contact the cable company for "help".  You recognize the problem...
Cable TVI is my fault :-))  I run all bands at about 1000w with no TVI and
full time internet access in the house.

73 from a happy cable modem customer,
George .. W1ZT