RFI

[RFI] RFI levels

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI levels
From: Hare,Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org (Hare,Ed, W1RFI)
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 10:04:18 -0500
>> The levels for man made noise that are cited in the program are:
>>
>> -110.4 dBm - industrial
>> -114.7 dBm - residential
>> -120.0 dBm - rural
>> -133.6 dBm - remote
>>
>> This presumably assumes an isotropic radiator.  I am guessing this is
>> 3 kHz bandwidth.

> If I understand correctly, those numbers represent an external wide
> band noise floor. Being not a noise produced internally to a receiver
> (or by a low noise instrument like a spectrum analyzer), it has not a
> great meaning to specify a BW unless the receiver ground floor is
> actually comparable with those numbers (hopefully not).

> 73,
> Mauri I4JMY

Hello, Mauri,

Even with an external noise source, or with any exteranal or internal signal
whose bandwidth is significantly greater than the receiver bandwidth, the
bandwidth of the receiver does affect the amount of noise power than will be
present within the receiver passband.  If the distribution of noise is
uniform, doubling the receiver bandwidth will result in a 3 dB increase in
the average noise power.  For that reason, noise is better expressed in
dBm/Hz.  If the measurement bandwidth above were 3 kHz, you could subtract
10*log(BW) from the numbers to obtain dBm/Hz.

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Laboratory
225 Main St