RFI

[RFI] FT-847 is a Part 15 Device?

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] FT-847 is a Part 15 Device?
From: Jon.Ogden@cain-forlaw.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:42:49 -0500
Again, folks, you have to look at the device under the guidelines of part 15.
Part 15 devices are related to unintentional emmiters, etc.  Your FT-847 or any
other radio should NOT cause harmful interefernce to other devices in its
immediate area.  Your FT-847 should not exhibit spurs that cause problems with
your TV or your FM radio, etc.  That's a fact.  Part 15 calls for a clean
operating device.

However, amateur radios also fall under additional classifications of device (I
think it's part 93?).  These classifications make the device a completely
different animal than part 15.  Part 93 (or whatever) devices are LICENSED.
Now, a part 15 device must "accept any interference" from a licensed device.
The rules are clear in that.  Just read the label.

Ham devices carry the part 15 label because part of their operation does fall
into the part 15 category.  But they are not ONLY part 15 devices.  Your
computer mouse is a part 15 device as well.  Part 15 just basically covers
almost all types of electronics (for the most part).

So, no, the sky is NOT falling.  Let's not be Chicken Little here.

Jon

Jon Ogden
Sales Engineer
Cain-Forlaw Company