RFI

[RFI] s7-s9 noise

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] s7-s9 noise
From: w7ti@dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:39:54 -0800
On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 18:59:13 -0500, Hare,Ed, W1RFI wrote:

>Only those that cause harmful interference to radio services, such as the
>Amateur Radio Service, must be corrected to the point where they no longer
>cause harmful interference.

I heard of one case where the utility company was not required to
fix the interference.  It involved a very high voltage
transmission line and an amateur whose house was quite close.
After investigating the problem, the FCC decision was that to
repair that particular problem would "not be in the public
interest" and the utility was off the hook.  Case closed.

I can't quote the source on this, but it was on one of the
amateur radio reflectors about two years ago.  Perhaps someone
else will remember.

Fortunately, this kind of action by the FCC must be pretty rare
or we'd hear about it quite often.

73, Bill W7TI