RFI

[RFI] Medical Equipment interference (RFI)

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Medical Equipment interference (RFI)
From: dgsvetan at rockwellcollins.com (dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Wed Jul 30 09:48:43 2003
Steve,

There is an official ISM band centered at 13.56 MHz.  "ISM" means
"Industrial, Medical and Scientific", and is a designation the FCC uses for
a number of generally narrow frequency bands across the spectrum for such
purposes.  For example, the amateur band at 902 to 926 MHz is also an ISM
band, and is the main reason we find cordless phones and numerous other
gadgets there.

I read the other posting by Dale, K9VUJ, about the UV treatment equipment
and a manufacturer.  He may well be on the right track.  I always thought
that 13.56 MHz is kinda close to 20 meters, but have not heard much about
interference issues in the past.  Whatever the device is, I suspect that it
is either not working properly, or we have the case of a manufacturer who
either ignores the FCC rules or is just plain ignorant of them.  Either
way, my guess is that this device is creating energy at and around that
frequency.  Good luck.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

                      Steve

                      <kt0dx@earthlink.        To:       rfi@contesting.com

                      net>                     cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [RFI] Medical
Equipment interference (RFI)
                      rfi-bounces@conte

                      sting.com

                      07/29/2003 09:25

                      PM

I hope someone out there might be able to point me in the right
direction to resolving a interference problem that is being generated by
medical equipment being used at home.

History:  A little over a week ago I started hearing a pulse type tone
on 20 meters and only 20 meters.  I started out trying to locate the
source by looking around the house by turning power off to each of the
rooms except the radio room but the problem was still there.  I then
went and one by one turned everything off with the exception of the
radio in the room and nothing found, still had the interference.  Well
this past weekend I finally was able to get another ham who has HF in
his van to come over and we went looking.   Well to make a 20 minute
trip around the area shorter we were able to pin point the source of the
interference to a home two street's over from my location.  I went up to
talk to the owner and a women answered the door and I explained what I
was there for.  Of course she did not appear to understand what I was
saying except when I described the interference and she indicated that
about a week ago she took delivery of a device called "Blu-u Light" from
a company in Ohio.  She said that her daughter was in stage T-3 with
cancer.  I asked her if she could provide me with the name of the
company that she had obtained the equipment from but she appeared that
she did not want to give out anymore information.  I said thank you for
her time and departed the area.  I have since contacted the major cancer
hospital in the area in an attempt to obtain some information on the
equipment but they did not have any information on the equipment and
recommend I contact the American Cancer Society but this was also a dead
end.  Two days ago I contacted the Colorado ARRL Director and he is
going to try and have the local RFI group confirm my findings and make
an attempt to find out who the company is that is providing the equipment.
I hope this will work out but anyone have any idea if they fail in
obtaining the information where to go next?
This interference is being heard as high as 15MHZ and as low as 13MHZ
and is strongest at 14.317.00  (60db over with 18db of attenuation using
a FT 1000MP).  Another station 2 miles away is receiving the signal on
the same frequency as S-7.  Maybe there is someone in the medical field
reading this might know something about this device.  I'm sure if I can
get to the manfacture they would resolve the problem as I'm sure there
is a problem with the equipment with the interference I have and is this
device really providing the level of care that is required.
Anyone know how the FCC might react to this type of problem? (I almost
suspect that the signal is not a harmonic with it being so strong 2
miles away and suspect that what ever is causing the transmissions is
sending the signal right on 14.317.00)

Thanks for reading this
Steve
KT0DX