RFI

Re: [RFI] High noise level....

To: woly@wimpley.freeserve.co.uk
Subject: Re: [RFI] High noise level....
From: Georgek5kg@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:17:23 EDT
In a message dated 9/10/2003 9:38:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
woly@wimpley.freeserve.co.uk writes:
Since putting up my new antenna (2 ele quad) i have got a very high noise
level on 20m. Wether the antenna is at 25ft or 50ft it is just as strong at
anywere between S5 and S7. This is worst when beaming to the West. The noise is
worst on 20m, but it still is there on all other bands (10-20m) but the noise
blanker on my ft847 gets rid of it on those bands except 20m.
I wonder if there is any filters or something i can make or purchase to get
rid of the noise. As you can imagine this amount of noise drives me crazy when
trying to work anything from the west. Or is it something i will have to put
up with??
Paul,

It sounds like you have something to the west of you that is generating the
noise.  It could be powerline, doorbell transformer, lighting, etc.  You will
have to hunt it down, or at least isolate it as best as you can before you can
take action to eliminate it.

Here is what I'd suggest:  Get a VHF AM receiver and go hunting for it.  I
use my 2m/440Mhz radio in my car to do this.  It has the "aircraft band", which
is AM, and is ideal for searching out sources of noise.  Or you can use the
MFJ 852 Power Line Noise Meter which is made exactly for this purpose.  Using a
broadcast band AM radio is possible, but you will probably not be able to
isolate the noise closer than a city block or so. The higher in frequency (ie.,
VHF) you can listen on AM, the more precisely you can isolate the noise.

If you find that the noise is maximum near a power pole, record the pole
number (on a plate on each pole), and report this to your power company.  If
you
find that the noise is max at a neighborhood house, approach the neighbor in a
friendly manner and explain the problem.  In the case of a suspected doorbell
transformer, you can advise that it could be a potential fire hazard and
should be fixed.  Having the portable MFJ 852 is invaluable in these situations.

This will get you started.

Let me know if I can help further.

73, George, K5KG

George I. Wagner, K5KG