RFI

[RFI] Sources For RFI Suppression Ferrites

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Sources For RFI Suppression Ferrites
From: "Linden, Mike (BRC-Hes)" <Mike.Linden@boschrexroth-us.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 08:38:34 -0600
  Someone asked a while back for information on sources of RFI Suppression
Ferrites. Here are some places I am aware of:

Palomar Engineers
760-747-3343
http://www.palomar-engineers.com/
Very large selection of ferrites -- have very helpful Hams on staff. They
will send you a catalog and RFI tip sheet upon request. I have ordered from
Palomar and am satisfied with them.

Ocean State Electronics
800-866-6626
http://www.oselectronics.com/
Fair selection of ferrites and better prices. I have ordered from Ocean
State and am satisfied with them.

Kits and Parts Dot Com
513-576-0066
http://partsandkits.com/index.asp
Fairly small selection of ferrites, but some great prices on FT114s (5 for
$5) and FT240s ($5 each)! They only accept mail orders or Pay Pal. I just
placed an order for a few FT240s, but haven't received it yet.

Very good article on the use of ferrites for RFI suppression:
http://www.elmac.co.uk/ferrite.htm

  I've been told that material 43 ferrites are good for general HF RFI
issues. However, I've also been told that material 77 is best below 5 MHz
and material 43 is best 7 MHz and up (within the HF spectrum).

  73, Michael N9BDF

PS  The "Amateur Radio Emergency Communications Consistency Act" (HR 1417)
and the "Amateur Radio Spectrum Protection Act" (HR 713 & S. 537) have been
reintroduced in Congress. Please contact your Congressmen to ask for their
support of these bills! See the following ARRL link for details:
http://www.arrl.org/govrelations/