[Top] [All Lists]

RE: [RFI] Formal RFI complaint to the FCC

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] Formal RFI complaint to the FCC
From: "Hare,Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 22:03:57 -0500
List-post: <mailto:rfi@contesting.com>
The TV won't be in the database. As an unintentional emitter and not a computer 
or computer peripheral, it is subject only to the verification requirements in 
Part 15. This means only that the manufacturer is required to test it.

As a "harmful interference" complaint, the FCC probably won't have a lot of 
sympathy.  A ham that owns a Part 15 device that interferes with his or her own 
station is able to control the use of the Part 15 device.

In all likelihood, it meets Part 15.  It internally uses signals >9 kHz, so it 
must meet the conducted emissions limits below 30 MHz. There are no limits on 
its radiated emissions limits below 30 MHz; it must meet radiated limits above 
30 MHz.  The conducted emissions limits are 250 uV, quasi-peak, measured in 9 
kHz bandwidth.  This is a power level of -59 dBm.  Let's run a few assumptions:

"Transmit" power level: -59 dBm
Power-wiring antenna gain: -20 dBi 
Path loss on 7 MHz, for 10 meters distance:  9.4 dB
Amateur receive antenna gain: 6 dBi (dipole, over ground)
Recieved signal level = -59 -20 -9.4 + 6 = -82.4 dBm

S9 would be 50 uV across 50 ohms, so the signal to be expected under the above 
circumstances would be about S7-S8.

If the antenna were located farther away, a "legal" device may produce about an 
S6 level. If the power wiring were a better antenna, quite reasonable, then you 
may be able to add as much as 15 dB.  Translation:  legal Part 15 emitters 
could result in S6 to S9 noise under typical conditions. 

Ed Hare, W1RFI
225 Main St
Newington, CT 06111
Tel: 860-594-0318
Internet: w1rfi@arrl.org
Web: http://www.arrl.org/tis

ARRL is the National Association for Amateur Radio.  It is supported by 
membership dues, individual contributions and the sale of  publications and 
advertising. For more information about ARRL, go to 
http://www.arrl.org/news/features/inside-your-league.html. For more information 
about membership, go to http://www.arrl.org/join.html.  Your contribution can 
also help support ARRL's ongoing efforts to protect Amateur spectrum. Go to 
https://www.arrl.org/forms/development/donations/basic/ to learn more about the 
ways you can support the ARRL programs and activities of most importance to 
you. You can help ARRL protect Amateur Radio for you and future generations to 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Cortland Richmond [mailto:ka5s@earthlink.net]
> Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 5:35 PM
> To: rfi@contesting.com; Van Fair
> Subject: RE: [RFI] Formal RFI complaint to the FCC
> Van,
> Its Part 15, actually. 
> What model is it? Copies of the data may be searchable on the 
> FCC's Web
> site at http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/ under its FCC ID number.
> For Amateur Radio related complaints, see 
> http://www.fcc.gov/eb/AmaCmpl.html
> (excerpt)
> -----------------------------------------------------
> Amateur radio complaints should be as specific as possible, 
> citing dates,
> times, and frequencies on which alleged violations occurred. 
> Complaints
> should also include a name and telephone number where the 
> complainant can
> be reached for further details, if necessary. Complaints 
> should be sent via
> e-mail to fccham@fcc.gov  <mailto:fccham@fcc.gov>or by mail 
> to the address
> below. Parties are encouraged to send tape recordings in 
> support of their
> complaints. Recordings should be mailed to: Federal Communications
> Commission, Enforcement Bureau, Amateur Radio, 1270 Fairfield Road,
> Gettysburg, PA 17325. Parties desiring further information 
> may call: (717)
> 338-2502. 
> -----------------------------------------------------
> That will end up on the desk of Riley Hollingsworth, who has 
> a LOT on his
> desk, so be concise. You should be prepared to provide copies of your
> correspondence with uncooperative vendors and manufacturers. 
> Aside from that, you might contact a consumer advocate in 
> your state to
> determine if there is a legally enforceable recourse against 
> the seller
> under its implied warranty laws. I'm not a lawyer, so I am 
> not the one to
> say, but most states have laws holding the seller liable for 
> items which
> cannot be used for the purpose sold, and compliance with Part 
> 15 on YOUR
> part (or *anyone's* who has one) would seem to require 
> turning it off. Does
> it "get" WWV?  
> Riley _might_ want you to hang onto it until the FCC can check the
> interference generated. 
> Cortland
> > [Original Message]
> > From: Van Fair <vfair@innova.net>
> > I have a sony 40 " tv which transmits a strong signal on 14 
> to 15 MHZ. =
> > There is no way to filter it out. I can pick it up on a 
> battery operted =
> > rcvr. 200 plus feet away at S7 or more.  On my pro 11 it is 
> s9+ when the =
> > beam is pointed at my TV.=20
> > 
> > Sony refuses to do anything or give me a copy of the test 
> conducted on =
> > my model set. Can anyone tell me the procedure for filing a formal =
> > complaint with the FCC for violation of the Part 19 
> regulations.  Thanks =
> > Van
> _______________________________________________
> RFI mailing list
> RFI@contesting.com
> http://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/rfi
RFI mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>