RFI

Re: [RFI] shielding question

To: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>,"Rfi" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] shielding question
From: George Johnson <w1zt@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:10:23 -0500
Dave,
With the shielded cable I would be tempted to just wrap the speaker conductors themselves on the ferrite (bifilar wound) to add common mode rejection to those lines and still ground the shield at the receiver end. The shield can stay open at the speaker end. You are trying to get rid of the common mode pickup and you have the benefit of both the shield and the ferrite to keep it out of the amp output/feedback circuit.

I had a similar problem with 30 ft unshielded "surround sound" speakers and did not have the luxury of shielded speaker leads. But the common mode choke plus an L-C filter on the receiver output took all of it out. I created the ground connection for the L-C filter because the receiver had no ground reference (two prong plug) at all.

Good luck and let us know how you make out,
George .. W1ZT