RFI

[RFI] Wireless intercoms

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Wireless intercoms
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 11:06:23 -0500
My wife got me a pair of wireless intercoms for Christmas so that we could communicate back and forth between her office and my shack, on different floors. They are Westinghouse WHI-2C, which operate FM at a frequency of about 240KHz on the power line.

My problem is that these intercoms seem to have a very high noise level whenever one or the other unit is transmitting. The noise sounds like 60 Hz, though given that it's FM it lacks the characteristic AM sound of power hum. When they're not transmitting voice, both ends are quiet. Westinghouse tech support speaks vaguely of fluorescent lights (none in the house), dimmers (ditto) and of not running the intercoms through a power strip with EMI filtering (I'm not). I've tried them plugged in to various pairs of outlets, with essentially no change.

Is this pretty much standard with this technology? Are there other units that people have found better than others? What about VHF wireless technology (like 900 MHz?)

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the World HF Contest Station Database at
 www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm