RFI

Re: [RFI] More on BPL

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] More on BPL
From: Martin Ewing <martin@aa6e.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:21:01 -0500
As Deep Throat said, "follow the money". Words don't mean much, alas.

I am writing my letter to the Times. I hope many others will write them or other media sources to help our message along.

-Martin

p.s. The technical education of reporters does leave something to be desired. Recently, the NYT had an article about lethal manhole covers and lamp posts that had AC leakage problems. (A woman was killed.) It was sad/amusing to see how much trouble the reporter had to describe the electrical situation. As I recall, he was talking about an object "emitting 50 volts of current"!

Pete Smith wrote:
There has been some concern expressed about one Commissioner's reference to "unsupported claims [of interference]." Fortunately, that snippet looks a lot better in context. Commissioner Adelstein said:

" While we must be mindful of harmful interference, we cannot let unsupported claims stand in the way of such an innovation as BPL systems. Provided that the engineering bears out, I believe that we need to push the boundaries to accommodate new technologies. A little noticed provision of the Communications Act, Section 157, reads that '[i]t shall be the policy of the United States to encourage the provision of new technologies and services to the public.' I am fully committed to that mission to promote new technologies, and to provide a framework for innovation so they can succeed. In order to do so, we must first resolve the technical interference issues addressed in this NPRM."

To me, that last sentence puts the burden of proof where it belongs. Now we'll see if the FCC means it.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the World HF Contest Station Database
Updated 9 Jan 04
www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm