RFI

Re: [RFI] 120v halogen lights

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] 120v halogen lights
From: stuart benner <w3stu@myactv.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 12:55:06 -0400
The reduction in life of an incandescent lamp when operated on DC versus AC is
attributable to a phenomenon known as "DC notching." With DC applied, the
tungsten molecules migrate within the filament and the filament takes on a
"notched" appearance. The increased local resistance at the notch points along
with the reduced physical strength result in decreased life. If AC is applied to
the filament, this condition is avoided. A lamp operating on DC may have 20% to
50% of the same lamp operated on AC.

Much research was done on this at NASA-Goddard by their lamp expert Dr. Henning
Leidecker. One of the life-limiting factors on the earlier GOES spacecraft (and
others) was the life of the black bias (incandescent) lamp in the satellite
sensors.

Stu Benner
W3STU