RFI

Re: [RFI] Wasted and Useful Bandwidth

To: <wrt@dslextreme.com>, "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@centurytel.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Wasted and Useful Bandwidth
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 12:07:27 -0400
> On Sat, 1 May 2004 08:30:31 -0700, Ward Silver wrote:
>
> >> I'm trying to think of a new idea or material that has
come out of auto
> >> racing.  The only one that comes to mind is those
ridiculous spoilers on
> >> the trunk of the family sedan.
> >
> >Ridiculous?  Hmmm...guess I'd better take mine off.  I
thought they made the
> >Taurus handle SOOOO much better :-)

This should remind us of WHY people think what we do is
totally unimportant. It is a very good example of how people
on the outside looking in have no earthly idea how technical
"sports" and "hobbies" improve technology for everyone.

A large number (if not the majority of) innovative safety,
weight, horsepower, driveline, brake, and fuel efficiency
improvements come directly through autosports.

Racing actually closely parallels amateur radio as a sport
or hobby that is not given due credit for the technical
advances that benefit the clueless majority.

73 Tom