RFI

Re: [RFI] Wasted and Useful Bandwidth

To: wrt@dslextreme.com, w8ji@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Wasted and Useful Bandwidth
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 15:48:06 EDT
In a message dated 5/2/2004 1:28:12 PM Central Standard Time,
wrt@dslextreme.com writes:
Was the Prius a racing development?  Those kinds of
technologies are the ones we civilians need, not something that puts 700
HP in the family sedan.
I hardly think the Prius is "what we civilians need".  When you amortize the
additional cost for the technology and basically two engines and two fuel
systems (gasoline and electrical), you really gain nothing in terms of economy.

We tend to think of "fuel" as gasoline, but the  battery has a replacement cost
of over $2000, and when you factor that as part of the fuel cost even over an
optimistic life cycle for the car, you can do better with the conventional
Echo, or something equivalent.  You can buy a Ford Focus for around $10K that
will provide 30 + MPG with reasonable comfort and reliability.

There has been a lot ot good engineering built in to the Prius, no doubt, but
it is still a small vehicle with the inherent risks.  I think hybrids may be
an interim solution, but not a very good one overall.  Fuel cell technology is
clearly a better way to go, and I'll enjoy my roomy, reasonably economical
midsized vans until that day comes.

Paul, K5AF