RFI

Re: [RFI] Wasted and Useful Bandwidth

To: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Wasted and Useful Bandwidth
From: Bill Turner <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 08:01:29 -0700
On Sun, 2 May 2004 18:12:45 -0700, Michael Tope wrote:

>In fact, I think I read
>somewhere that you would have to DOUBLE the US
>electrical power generating capacity if you were to convert
>automobiles to fuels cells that use hydrogen derived from
>electrolysis. This is the real challenge of the hydrogen
>economy. Find a way to produce hydrogen in abundance
>with non-polutting renewable sources. Sounds easy -
>does hard.

I agree with nearly all your observations Michael, but I take issue with
the one above.  You're right to be negative about hydrogen *IF* we use
fossil fuels to create it, but there is a much better way.  Massive
solar cell arrays could generate electricity which could be used to
split water into hydrogen and oxygen.  The technology has been known for
decades, in fact I've even done it in my garage.  Works great, and solar
power and silicon are literally as common as dirt.

Let's get going, what say?  :-)

--
Bill, W6WRT
QSLs via LoTW