RFI

RE: [RFI] Broadband over Power Line (BPL) radio interference

To: <rfi@contesting.com>, <bplandhamradio@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] Broadband over Power Line (BPL) radio interference
From: "Hare,Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 17:42:19 -0400
> Your rationale for not seeking out BPL pilots, publicizing
> their locations, and aggressively organizing local hams to
> monitor them is lame:

You have it rather wrong, Dave. ARRL has been seeking out BPL pilots,
in some cases, notifying local hams before they are aware that they
are underfoot.  We have been working with local groups across the country,
primarily by working through local clubs and the ARRL section and
division leadership.  What hasn't happened is publicity about specific locations
in individual cities, nor will it, unless the local amateurs feel that to be
the best approach. Neither you nor I should be making those decisions. The local
amateurs directly affected by this are the ones that have to maintain
relationships
with their local townships, utilities and others and not to let them make
the decisions about how many hams they want running around neighborhoods would
be
unwise, IMHO.

> - there are undoubtedly many hams willing to help, but unaware of BPL pilots
> in
> their area; their potential contribution is going untapped.

In most cases, the local hear about BPL trials first, because the utility often
does
mailings to residents there. Once the organized local leadership is involved,
it is
the rare bird indeed that will not be made aware that there is BPL in the area,
and
by working through those that are developing the relationships with the local
utilties,
there "help" will really help rather than get in the way of what is being
planned locally.

There is no secret of the locations of BPL areas. Most that are presently
active have been
well discussed on the ARRL page and elsewhere.

To my knowledge, there are active, pending or possible pending BPL
installations going
into the following areas:

Cullman, AL (very small HomePlug system)
Cottonwood, AZ
Phoenix, AZ (one or two houses)
Menlo Park, CA (not yet active)
Pueblo, CO (not known to be active)
Miami, FL (not yet active)
Honolulu, HI
Cedar Rapids, IA (shut off)
Boise, ID
IN - Unspecified small test, according to unconfirmed info relayed through IN
DPUC
Potomac, MD
Rochester, MN (just getting ramped up)
Cape Girardea, MO
Everetts, NC
Raleigh, NC
Williamstown, NC (not known to be active)
Ohmaha, NE (not known to be active)
Nevada - experimental license, unknown locations - no site yet identified
Penn Yan, NY
Solvay, NY
Rochester, NY (utility declined to activate)
Bowling Green, OH (not known to be active)
Hyde Park, OH (just getting ramped up)
Chambersburg, PA (not known to be active)
Emmaus, PA
Winchester, TN (not known to be active)
Blanco, TX (not yet active)
Manassas, VA
Nelson CTY, VA
Chelan CTY, WA

Not all of these are known to be active. In some case, rumored  BPL may never
have gotten off the ground. Now that my services are not required for
rulemaking
proceedings, I am concentrating on increasing the work with the local hams.

But I do agree that the ARRL BPL page can use some work. Do we have any
volunteers
willing to take on a few assignments and tidy up the loose ends?  I need someone
who is more proud of his people skills than his "directness." :-)

Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Laboratory Manager
225 Main St
Newington, CT 06013
Tel: 860-594-0318
Internet: W1RFI@arrl.org
Web: http://www.arrl.org/tis
Member: ASC C63 EMC Committee
   Chairman: Subcommittee 5, Immunity
   Chairman: Ad hoc BPL Working Group
Member: IEEE SCC-28 RF Safety
Member: Society of Automotive Engineers EMC/EMR Committee
Member: IEEE