RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI vs QRO?

To: "Alan NV8A (ex. AB2OS)" <nv8a@att.net>,"EDWARDS, EDDIE J" <eedwards@oppd.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI vs QRO?
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:06:22 -0400
We just tested a Generation One Main.net BPL system here
with only 5
possible users on it.  With no one actively using the
system, the system
is in idle mode and is indeed VERY QUIET.  There's only a
very faint
clicking for each modem, so with only a few modems you might
not hear
them unless you stood directly beneath the power line like I
did.>>>>

BUT, the minute you start using the internet and downloading
files like
MPEG or WAV files, the noise starts.  It sounds just like
power line
noise so I'm sure Mike will be able to recognize that when
he hears it!
;-)  Without any notching it was VERY STRONG (s9+) in a
mobile parked in
the street in front of the house using an antenna not tuned
for the band
we were listening on.  With notching, it was still
moderately strong

As I recall Mike actually described what sounded to him like
clicks and power line noise, but what appeared to me (and
others) to be a description of BPL. It was very similar to
what you described above.

I understand how the mistake could happen, but I'm still
very disappointed. We have to be very careful to be sure we
are correct in what we say.

73 Tom