RFI

RE: [RFI] Chattam & Wells/Perfect Fit Industries Electric Blanket

To: "'Hare, Ed W1RFI'" <w1rfi@arrl.org>,"'Jim P'" <jvpoll@dallas.net>, <ka5s@earthlink.net>,<RFI@contesting.com>, "'Kelly Johnson'" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>,<RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] Chattam & Wells/Perfect Fit Industries Electric Blanket
From: "Mike Martin" <mike@rfiservices.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:10:34 -0500
Hi everyone,
Several years ago I was investigating an interference complaint and found
the cause to be an electric blanket.
At that time it was very common source of TVI/RFI. This one however was a
little more interesting. It is rare that a customer refuses me access to
their home to locate a possible fire hazard. This was a neighbor of the
complainant and a little less than nice.
I demonstrated the problem it was causing and finally convinced her to give
me access. I found the source to be as suspected, an electric blanket. This
blanket was used as a bed warmer for the Very Old cat. It had been folded up
to fit into a cardboard box about 24 x 12 inches. Gosh how cozy. When I
picked it up, all but the top and lower layer had melted together and was
now a pretty solid plastic like molded block. A pretty blue block. It's
unfortunate that the cat had to suffer from author until the following day.
These things are a real fire hazard. If any of you own one, turn of the
lights while lying under it and give it a fluff and watch the fireworks.
Ours went in the trash that night.
I think Ed has heard about my survey concerning house fires. I'll soon have
it on my web site.
Best wishes to all,
Mike Martin
RFI Services