RFI

Re: [RFI] Can Fluorescent bulbs cause RFI problems?

To: Scott Neader KA9FOX <ka9fox@qth.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Can Fluorescent bulbs cause RFI problems?
From: dj <dj2001@mn.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 04:18:08 -0500
I've had one of those replacement fluorescents on 24/7 for years and
never a peep.  It's in the basement directly under my shack.  I think
it's a 15 watt with the light of a 40 or 50 watt regular bulb.

I do have a couple of shop lights, (4 foot) which are terrible noise
makers until I changed the tubes.  My next door neighbor has one also
and when it's on it puts out S-9 noise.  I bought a MFJ 1026 which
takes it out completely.  The NB does the job too but distorts the
audio of the station I'm trying to copy.  The dimmer lights are
awful, I had one and I not only received noise from it I caused it to
turn on when transmitting.  I partly cured it with a RF choke and a
resistor, but not completely.  It's unplugged and not in use anymore.

Dale