RFI

Re: [RFI] UPS interference/Recommendation Request

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] UPS interference/Recommendation Request
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 08:00:50 -0400
I am using a Belkin 1200 VA unit with no issues, 80 - 10 M, and a smaller
APC unit upstairs that is also OK.  On the other hand, I used to have an
older, smaller APC that was terrible.

In my limited sample, it seems that newer and more expensive units behave
better.  But be prepared for trouble with any UPS - or any switch-mode
consumer appliance.

Somebody ought to test some of these products (quantitatively, in the lab)
for ham use!  Part 15 & FCC are pretty weak protection.  It should be pretty
easy, compared with the ham equipment tests at ARRL.  A new mission?

73 Martin AA6E

On 4/28/06, Donald Chester <k4kyv@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Mine is an APC unit.  It generates a broad buzzsaw-sounding signal just
> below the 2.5 mHz WWV, but doesn't bother 160 or 75, or even WWV.
>
> On the other hand, my cable modem trashes the entire HF spectrum above
> about
>   about 7.5 mHz.  If I wanted to work 10m. I would have to pull the plug
> on
> it.   The interference is more intense as you tune higher in frequency.
>
> Don k4kyv

> This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.  Try it - you'll
> like it.
> http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
> http://gigliwood.com/abcd/

martin.ewing@gmail.com - AA6E@arrl.net
President, Yale University Amateur Radio Club - W1YU
http://blog.aa6e.net