RFI

Re: [RFI] Ambient Noise Levels

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Ambient Noise Levels
From: digital-conjurers@adelphia.net
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 10:30:08 -0700
At 07:14 AM 08/10/2006, you wrote:
>I don't believe sources I cited not a month of two back
>are in agreement with that statement NOR does it
>agree with the empirical  results that those using
>shielded magnetic loops experience (which I had
>just alluded to in, I think, my previous post.)

Just as an anecdotal side note, a homebrew shielded loop for 75M was the only
thing that kept me operational on the band last year.  I had a "Toy-Boy"
neighbor who simply _had_ to have every piece of cheap,  unshielded, Chinese
electronic junk on the store shelves, as well as a plasma TV.   This guy was
only 30' away from me, and it made life on 75 misery.  (He was uneducatable.)
Noise levels were around S-9 to 20 over, as I was using the worst of all
possible worlds, a kind of vertical electrically shortened antenna, due to deed
restrictions.

Built the magloop unit shown in the link, and was able to receive on the loop,
and transmit on the vertical.  Worked like a charm.  By rotating the loop, I
was able to get the noise down to an S-4 (during the wintertime-I don't op on
75 during the summer.)

Just unscientific, anecdotal evidence, but it worked.

www.moonlightsys.com/misc/loop.jpg

-Lin/KJ6EF