RFI

Re: [RFI] intermod/rectification

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] intermod/rectification
From: "Stu Benner" <w3stu@myactv.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 22:10:06 -0400
I agree with much of what Earl says. There are usually lots of other poorly
bonded joints at places other than in your antenna system.

Consider using some sort of loop antenna with which you can DF the source
using a portable receiver. Use the nulls rather than the peaks to search. At
HF, you will likely have to be quite some distance from the source (whether
it be near you or near the transmitters) to accurately fix the direction.

You may want to investigate the broadcast stations that are causing your
problem. Determine frequencies and do the math to make sense of the spurious
signals that you're seeing. Determine if the stations are co-located and/or
are using the same antenna system.

Consider the possibility that other amateurs could be experiencing similar
problems due to other causes (e.g., receiver overload) before you believe
that data point. Are the other stations also seeing the identical pulsing as
are you?

Another very inefficient method of locating the problem if it's on or near
your property is to soak in water anything that you think might be the
non-linear junction.

I'll add one comment not relevant to locating or fixing the problem. In
order to mix two or more signals, a PN junction or rectification is not
required. All that is required (and what is usually going on in cases like
this) is the existence of some metallic couple with a non-linear transfer
function. (The knee of PN junction behaves approximately as a square-law
function.)

Keep us up to date, Mike. This one should be interesting once you find it.

Regards,
Stu.