RFI

Re: [TowerTalk] [TVI-RFI-EMI] Re: Query RFI

To: "Bob Maser" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>,"Kirk" <kirk.harding@cox.net>, <nz3o@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [TVI-RFI-EMI] Re: Query RFI
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 11:13:15 -0800
Lots of comments below on dimmers and noise presence or lack thereof.

There are different models of dimmers from the same company, and even
the same model might have design changes over time.  Some of those
design changes may be to fix RFI problems.

Lutron is a reputable mfr, and dimmers are basically their
specialty.  They must have hundreds of different configurations for
all sorts of applications, including those in RFI sensitive
environments.  A call to their applications engineers might be
useful.  You might need to call a distributor and have them make the contact.

It's entirely possible (nay, likely) that if you whip on down to the
Lowes Depot Mart and buy the "selected for cost sensitive
applications" manufacturers and models on offer, that they won't have
good RFI properties.

I've noticed a similar thing with compact fluorescent lights.

Jim, W6RMK