RFI

Re: [RFI] Noisey PSU (Laptop) on HF Decodeing

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noisey PSU (Laptop) on HF Decodeing
From: Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 16:15:36 -0700
Yes. I have three laptops (old Dell Latitude 300, older Mac PowerBook 1400,
newer Mac iBook 900 [main computer]). All three are RFI noisy while listening
on HF when I have them plugged into commercial power. For this reason, I use
them on battery power only (lighter plug type DC to DC converters for all of
them) which cuts down, but doesn't eliminate the noise. If it gets too bad,
I'll turn them off. Exception: I use the Dell for digital comms, mostly PSK and
it's the quietest of the bunch. Most of my problems are likewise on HF and
mostly on 20m (of course, the most active daytime band). Drives me up the wall.

73 de Fred K2FRD

At 8:29 PM +0100 29/5/07, William Conlan wrote:
>Hello guys,
>Has anyone experienced noise interference from Laptop PSU when listening
>(decoding) HF Signals.
>
>Its not such a big problem on VHF/UHF for some reason.
>
>Many thanks in advance,
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Bill.

73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD, VO2FS