RFI

Re: [RFI] Noisey PSU (Laptop) on HF Decodeing

To: k0occ@comcast.net, RFI@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noisey PSU (Laptop) on HF Decodeing
From: Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 19:49:44 -0700
I absolutely agree that it is seldom a simple issue with RFI. It also occurs to
me that my newest Mac which causes the most RFI is also equipped with a
wireless card meaning it also has an antenna (located around the perimeter of
the lid) which then makes radiation of any RFI which comes into the laptop that
much more pervasive (all three laptops are located within 6" to 18" of my
TS-2000 - any computer-generated RFI is almost a hardwired feed). The other
two, older laptops are not so wi-fi antenna equipped. The old Dell is perfect
for digital as long as I keep it on battery instead of commercial power (to
which I have been connected only once in four years as a fulltime RVer; I'm
usually on generator or solar power, but that's yet another issue: boondocking
RVs and RFI).

73 de Fred K2FRD

--
73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD, VO2FS