RFI

Re: [RFI] Buying New Vehicle - RFI issues with these models?

To: n5um@cox.net, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Buying New Vehicle - RFI issues with these models?
From: Pete Ferrand <petef@sprynet.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 09:39:43 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Al, N5UM writes:

>Does anyone on the reflector know of any RFI issues that would impact HF
>mobile operation in any of these, and any hints at how to correct?

In April of this year I rented a new Vibe and drove it for 1200 miles over four
days. I imposed some of the toughest conditions on it for hf mobile: I plugged
my TS-50S into the dashboard receptacle and used Hamsticks on a mag mount.
Because of the power limit on the connector I limited the rig to fifty watts.
Ran mostly 40 meters with a little 20 on, all ssb.

I was astounded that there was no interference of any kind. Didn't hear any
ignition noise or other car noises, and the car was unaffected by the rig.

The rig fit nicely between the seats up against and just aft of the shift
assembly. Usual disclaimers.

GL,
-Pete
Somers, WI