RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI from street lights - finding source?

To: "'Barry N1EU'" <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI from street lights - finding source?
From: "W2RU - Bud Hippisley" <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 09:41:36 -0400
From: Barry N1EU
Subject: RFI from street lights - finding source?

For over a year, I've been plagued by cyclical noise bursts on 160/80M
of about 30sec duration repeating every 2 minutes or so

I've been pondering how to go about locating the source.  Does it seem
reasonable that the source is likely to be between a quarter and half
mile distant?

W2RU:  In *my* case, the offending street light was nearly 1/2-mile from me.
It could have been even farther away and I still would have heard it on my
160 antennas.

  Does the noise correlate with the lamps visibly
restarting/flickering?

W2RU:  In *my* case, it did.  My situation was pretty easy -- it was the
*only* street light within a few miles of me, and I could easily localize to
it by rotating my tribander.  Then I went and sat under it with my car radio
tuned to an empty AM channel while watching it try to ignite.

The "hard" part was explaining to the power company guys how important it
was to take care of it before the next DX test....

Bud, W2RU