RFI

Re: [RTTY] Topband: Foam

To: "Brad Rehm" <bradrehm@gmail.com>, "Rick D" <n6pe@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Topband: Foam
From: "brian" <brianb@brianboschma.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 15:46:01 -0500
Hi Rick,

A non conductive foam will alter the dielectric constant of the region in
which it is applied. Try searching "dielectric lens or antenna", probably find
an interesting set of data on the characteristics. Likely someone like GE
sells a foam that is rated for dielectric, but the density of the foam is
going to play a role. So, the more air in the expansion the closer the
dielectric will be to air.

Here is an experiment I have done that yields a measurable result:  Take a two
meter vertical, measure the point of resonance by finding the lowest SWR on a
SWR meter. Now wrap the antenna with a foam, I used a fairly dense foam used
for construction of marine foils (rudders/keels/fins). Re take the
measurement. In my case I saw about a 2 mhz lowering of the resonant point,
indicating the antenna was surrounded by something with a dielectric constant
larger than air.

If you place a foam in the coil of a resonant circuit you would likely also
see the frequency of resonance pull downward.

Of course depending on the foam your mileage will vary and you may also see a
lowering of Q of sensitive circuitry/antenna's/cavities.

Regards,

Brian n6iz.