RFI

[RFI] Testing & Comparing Compact Fluorescents?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Testing & Comparing Compact Fluorescents?
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:42:19 -0400

N6PE:

 >I have four Phillips 100 W CFLs in a ceiling fan in the shack.

 >No detectable noise on any band over the outside antenna with either
pair or all four on.

         I think there may be significant differences both in CFLs
and in the noise levels different people consider objectionable.

 >You can hear them on an AM radio placed next to them, but not as loud as
the display on my old 940S.

         I just checked my TS-930S display.  No significant noise (i.e.
no LEDs lit on the Sony 2010, even though the GE CFL pegged its meter).

 >Try the AM radio test on your radio display and computer monitor. It is
like a hi-fi nut that thinks he has the perfect amplifier, until he sees
it on a scope with a square wave.

         I routinely check everything in my (detached) shack and house.
Years ago I switched to an LCD monitor exactly because of the CRT noise.
NOTHING in my shack lights any LEDs on the Sony 2010.  I do have a minor
birdie from a Linksys WiFi router in my house but nothing like the CFL.

         I hope ARRL will publish their results since I would still
like to try one of the better rated units at my location, but I'll still
reserve judgement until I try it myself with the Sony 2010.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV