RFI

Re: [RFI] TV RFI - an update 2

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] TV RFI - an update 2
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 09:58:04 -0800
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:49:37 -0800, rrath@charter.net wrote:

>I have 10 turns or wraps on each torriod. Does it make a difference if I
>wrapped them clock wise or counter clock wise? I went counter clock wise.
>These are iron torroids not ferrite torroids. Make a difference?

As long as all turns are in the same direction, clock wise or counter clock
wise doesn't matter.

Iron vs. ferrite DOES make a difference. I haven't measured or seen data
for any multiturn powdered iron chokes (and I don't think Fair-Rite makes
any). Based on my research, I've come to the conclusion that Fair-Rite's #
31 material is by far the superior product for RFI suppression below 5 MHz,
and is almost as good as #43 between 10 MHz and 200 MHz.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC