RFI

[RFI] RFI Frustration

To: RFI Reflector <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI Frustration
From: Jim Idelson <k1ir@designet.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:13:41 -0500
Well, it's the night before the contest and the noise is still there.

It's a 24/7 noise and I can DF it in one direction with yagis on 40-10 meters.
It's pretty broadband and it has a sputtering sound, somewhat like this light
dimmer noise -
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/rfi-noise/noise/noise-files/lightdimmer.mp3

found at
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/rfi-noise/appliances.html

Is a noisy light dimmer going to be a constant source or does it change with
load and when turned off?
I had been listening for this at high frequencies, but when I saw that this is
something that has a baseband frequency in the 150kHZ range, I tuned my big rig
in the station down there on a 160m dipole, and there is a very loud noise at
157kHz. It is also very loud at 78.5kHz and at all multiples of 78.5kHz right
up into the AM broadcast band.

Suggestions for better DF'ing techniques? I've been outside around the
neighborhood with my HT, sniffing power meters, wires coming down he power
poles, etc. There are some hot spots, but nothing like a smoking gun.

I have a little time tomorrow to sniff around the neighborhood some more to see
what I can find. I've been in the two closest house with the HT, but found
nothing.

Wouldn't it be cool to find and eliminate this just in tme for the contest?

73,

Jim Idelson K1IR
email    k1ir at designet.com
web    http://www.k1ir.com