RFI

Re: [RFI] Router RFI

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Router RFI
From: "Andy" <ingraham.ma.ultranet@rcn.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:19:19 -0400
Why do routers cause RFI ...?

Wired routers do not intentionally radiate.  But some do, probably because
they are poorly designed.  Just like many other modern electronic devices.

Wireless routers are intentional radiators, so by definition they send out
RF, though they are supposed to be on frequencies that don't interfere with
other services.  Some do anyway, in part because of inadequate bandpass
filtering.

> My question, if I go with a completely wireless setup for 4 computers in the
> house, will I have a good chance of eliminating the RFI??

All other things being equal (which they aren't), the wired router ought to
have less RFI, and might be easier to improve by wrapping all cables on
toroids or through clamp-on filters.  The wireless router must be allowed to
radiate so fixing it might prove harder.  There's no good reason to believe
that a wireless router would eliminate RFI ... unless you know the
brand/model you get is RFI-free.

Andy