RFI

Re: [RFI] Low Voltage Patio Lights

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Low Voltage Patio Lights
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 07:55:55 -0700
As far as I know, these lights work on 12VAC, which means that any 12V
transformer rated for the application would work. Unfortunately, they are
physically larger than the switching power supplies, and they probably cost
a lot more.

And, what's worse, it's almost impossible to find a real transformer for
this application in the electrical supply chain. The local supply store
here in Santa Cruz gives a blank stare when you ask for one.

And THAT isn't even the worst part. Nearly all modern lighting fixtures are
now made only as low voltage lighting fixtures. You almost can't buy a line
voltage fixture any more!  I've got lighting catalogs full of so-called
"line voltage" track lighting fixtures that really use 12V lamps and have a
switching power supply in their base that fits onto 120V track!

Coming soon to a renovation near you. Good bye ham radio.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC